Job Title: A/R Manager
Education: Associated in Applied Science
Previous Experience: I worked for 8 years in a 24 hour call center as a rep and then for the last several years as a supervisor. Previous to that I had worked for over 10 yrs in the accounting field. I have been at my current position for 3 1/2 yrs.
Job Tasks: My company is a wholesaler of fresh produce to area restaurants.
My tasks are posting all the cash receipts and making calls on past due accounts.
On a typical day I will get all the checks that come in the mail, open them and use a special scanner to scan the checks directly into our bank for deposit. Then I will post the payment of all the checks to the customers' accounts. I will also post any cash payments that come in at the end of they day and prepare a physical bank deposit of cash once a week. I answer calls throughout the day from customers needing copies of invoices, credit memos or current statements. I also send out debit memos for invoices that were not paid in full. Sometimes it takes a bit of investigation to find out why a customer short pays an invoice. Sometimes they claim they returned a product and I will then have to go check our driver logs to see if the driver noted any returns or shortages for the day in question by that customer. If so then a credit memo has to be issued.
For New customers I get a completed credit application, process this by checking their trade references and then determining what credit terms if any they qualify for. I then enter credit terms and contact information into our customer master list. I also send the customer a welcome letter and outline the credit terms they were approved for.
I would say at least 85% of my day is spent on essential tasks and the remaining 15% on administrative tasks.
I do not normally travel in my job.
Best and Worst Parts of the Job: The best parts of my job are that we are a casual work environment so I can wear jeans and tennis shoes to work. I can also listen to whatever kind of music I want all day while I work as long as I keep the volume down so as not to disturb anyone else. We have a small but friendly office staff which makes my job a joy. I also enjoy what I am doing.
I don't really have a worst part of my job except perhaps days when everyone decides to call me at once and my phone rings all day long. Other days I will get hardly any calls at all which is nice because I get a lot more done.
1. Take at least a couple accounting classes. You need to at least have an understanding of what a debit and credit are.
2. You need to develop good customer service skills. Even though I am not in a typical customer service department, everyone who calls me is in essence my customer. I need to look at them as valuable customers and NOT as an interruption of my work.
3.You must like numbers and have an attention to detail for virtually any type of accounting work.
Click the Visit School Site buttons to go directly to a school's website and learn more about the school and programs it has to offer. School website will open in a new tab. .
Click the Request Info buttons to request more information from a representative at the school
There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
The Forbes School of Business® combines the power and flexibility of online learning with high-quality, topical Forbes content.
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) offers career relevant bachelor’s and master’s degree programs for working adults and nontraditional learners.
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives.
Choosing a school and a new career path can be a very overwhelming process.
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
At Post University, we believe you shouldn’t have to put your life on hold to further your education.
Earn your degree or diploma on your schedule and succeed at Ashworth College.
The inside stories from people actually working in the field.
Click a story title to show the story, and click the title again to hide it.
Career Stories are concise, real-world career overviews written by people relating their personal career experiences and wisdom. They provide invaluable insights and mentoring advice to students and career changers.
Most stories include:
Please also see our detailed information about Accountants And Auditors, including: