Job Title: Small Business Owner
Type of Company: My family's company is a print shop that also embroiders and silk screens shirts, prints large banners and flags and sells flags from all over the world. We also install large flag poles.
Education: BS, Marketing and Management, University of Connecticut
Previous Experience: I have worked in printing and print sales since I got out of college. But I only came to work for the family business a couple of years ago.
Job Tasks: My daily responsibilities include:
1. Selling to new and existing businesses, making face-to-face sales calls and following up and following through. This often happens these days via e-mail. [50% of my time]
2. Overseeing our advertising and marketing (Yellow Pages, website design/updates and various forms of internet advertising, often through Google). I negotiate with the different vendors who help us "look good" and update and alter our websites. I'm also working on creating a new online ordering and proofing website since that is what many of our larger customers are asking for. I was told that we are either learn and change or go under. [25% of my time]
3. Learning about running the company, HR, payroll, insurance, working with our accountant, purchasing new and used equipment, searching for larger state contracts via RFPs that we can submit a proposal for. This is the most challenging aspect of the work since it is hard to get time with Mom and Dad during our very fast-paced weekday schedules. We try to meet weekly either after hours or before so we can discuss our short- and long-term goals. It is really important to come up with a plan and then work that plan [25% of my time]
Best and Worst Parts of the Job: Best part of the job: It is never the exact same challenge two days in a row. We do so many custom items that there is a constant learning curve going on. That makes it a lot of fun
The worst part is when certain employees don't follow through and I have to make a call to the customer. Also when we have to let employees go...that is never fun because it affects their whole family and also rips me up.
1. Network as much as you can. Join the Chamber of Commerce, LinkedIn, your alumni association, BNI... as soon as you can and establish a name for yourself. It is amazing how many business agreements or partnerships are created this way.
2. Follow the Golden Rule: always treat others in the way you would like to be treated.
3. Start your own business. It is difficult but so rewarding at the same time.
Additional Thoughts: Be a person of your word
These schools offer particularly quick info upon request, and we have written detailed profiles for each (click school names to see the profiles).
Request info from multiple schools, by clicking the Request Info links.
Try Your Introductory Course Risk Free
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
Earn your Master's degree online from Norwich University.
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
Pursue your education at Ohio Christian University.
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
Iowa Wesleyan University is a transformational learning community whose passion is to educate, empower and inspire students to lead meaningful lives and careers.
What They’re Known For
Founded in 1946 and located in the heart of central New York, Utica College is a regionally accredited, independent, private institution that features many of the advantages of a large university — such as undergraduate and graduate degree options, excellent academics, and outstanding faculty — with the intimacy and high degree of personal attention more closely associated with smaller private institutions.
San Joaquin Valley College - A Private Junior College.
The inside stories from people actually working in the field.
Click a story title to show the story, and click the title again to hide it.
Career Stories are concise, real-world career overviews written by people relating their personal career experiences and wisdom. They provide invaluable insights and mentoring advice to students and career changers.
Most stories include:
Please also see our detailed information about Chief Executives, including: