Diagnostic medical sonographers, or ultrasound technicians, are responsible for the operation of ultrasonic imaging equipment in diagnostic procedures under the supervision of physicians. Sonographers must have training in the technical aspects of operating the equipment, and they must also have knowledge of normal and abnormal sonographic images. They work in a range of clinical settings, and they may specialize in areas such as cardiac or vascular sonography.
Ultrasound Technician Schools in New Jersey
Several schools in the Garden State offer degree or certification programs for those who wish to enter this field.
- American Institute of Medical Sciences and Education: The program at AIMS is a certificate program that qualifies graduates to sit for professional certification exams. It is an approximately 27-month program that includes classroom work, in-school clinical training, and an off-site clinical internship component. Admission preferences will be given to applicants with a degree in a related health care field or professional experience, but these qualifications are not a requirement for admission.
- Bergen Community College: The BCC program is geared toward preparing participants to successfully complete professional credentialing exams. The program provides training in abdominal, obstetric/gynecological and cardiac sonography, and it admits 15 students each year.
- JFK Medical Center Muhlenberg Harold B. & Dorothy A. Snyder Schools: Graduates of this program earn a Diploma in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (DMS) from the JFK Muhlenberg Snyder Schools and an associate degree from Union County College. Successful completion allows graduates to sit for professional certification exams.
- Medical Career Institute: This certificate program requires that applicants either already hold a two- or four-year degree in a related health care field, or that they complete prerequisite coursework in areas such as higher mathematics and English composition prior to application.
- Rowan College: This is a six-semester program that includes classroom coursework, hands-on clinical coursework and a clinical internship. The first semester includes prerequisite coursework that must be completed before official acceptance into the program.
- Rutgers University: This program, which is housed on the school's Scotch Plains campus, takes approximately 15 months to complete. A certificate option is available for applicants who hold a two-year allied health degree in a field such as radiology or nursing. The school also offers bachelor's degree options for applicants who already hold four-year degrees in related fields.
What to Expect from Sonography Schools in New Jersey
Applicants to diagnostic medical sonography programs must complete coursework in several areas of science, including biology, anatomy, physiology, chemistry and physics. Some programs require that applicants complete this coursework before application to the sonography program.
Sonography programs are generally competitive in their admissions processes because they have limited available slots for new students each year. These selective admissions processes may result in preference being given to applicants who already hold a degree in an allied health field or who have previous professional clinical experience. Some programs are designed exclusively for participants who already hold health care degrees.
New Jersey Ultrasound Technician Certification
New Jersey does not require state-issued licenses for sonographers, but professional certification is required for sonographers to qualify for jobs and to practice professionally in the state. The standard Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS) certification is overseen by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS), and graduates of programs accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) are qualified to sit for the certification exams.
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography, American Institute of Medical Science and Education, https://www.aimseducation.edu/dms-program-outcomes
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Bergen Community College, http://bergen.edu/academics/academic-divisions-departments/health-professions-division/diagnostic-medical-sonography/program-outcomes/
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography, JFK Medical Center, http://jfkmuhlenbergschools.org/discover-our-schools/general-information/school-of-diagnostic-medical-sonography
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Medical Career Institute, http://www.mcinj.edu/diagnostic-medical-sonography
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Rowan College, http://www.rcbc.edu/dms/
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Rutgers University, http://shp.rutgers.edu/dept/med_imaging/DMSonography/accreditation.html