Because routine operations are getting safer due to the medical advancements that are being made, surgical technologists in Arizona will be increasingly sought after. These types of roles involve assisting surgeons in the operating theater by preparing the room for the operation, getting patients ready for surgery and transporting them around the hospital. Surgical technicians also help during surgery by carrying out tasks like adjusting and passing equipment to surgeons and providing general assistance.
Arizona Surgical Technician Schools
In order to pursue a career as a surgical technician, many require an associate degree or postsecondary certificate. Surgical tech schools in Arizona offer the necessary training required, combining classroom studies with clinical- and hospital-based experiences that strengthen your skills as a surgical technologist. Some of these schools are:
- Pina Community College: This college was first established in 1966 and offers two-year programs at its six different locations. One of these programs is their Surgical Technologist career training certificate.
- Mohave Community College: As a comprehensive college, MCC serves over 13,000 students a year with campuses in Colorado City, Bullhead City, Lake Havasu City and Kingman. Their Associate of Applied Science in Surgical Technology program is located at their Lake Havasu City Campus.
- Brookline College: Offering a number of accredited programs, Brookline College specializes in health care, legal, business and education studies. Within their health care programs they offera Surgical Technology Diploma. Located at their Tempe Campus, this course is accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
- Brown Mackie College: The Brown Mackie College system was first founded in 1892 and now operates in 15 different states with more than 25 schools. Their Surgical Technology Associate Degree programs are available at their Phoenix and Tucson campuses, Arizona.
- East Valley Institute of Technology: EVIT offer a wide range of programs for their students including the Surgical Technology course, which is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
- GateWay Community College: The college offers over 160 degree and certificate programs and is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Surgical Technology and Surgical Technology for the Operating Room Nurse programs are provided here.
What to Expect from Arizona Surgical Technician Programs
Programs at these surgical technologist schools in Arizona can equip you with all of the necessary skills you'll need in order to pursue your career as a surgical technician. Over the course of the program you'll learn skills in the classroom that you'll later put to use when you work alongside a trained surgeon in a clinical or hospital environment. Some of the things you'll learn are:
- Operating room preparation
- Surgical principles
Arizona Surgical Technician Certification
There aren't any specific licenses that you'll require to become a surgical technician in Arizona but obtaining a certificate can be highly beneficial. There's the Certified Surgical Technology (CST) certificate from The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting and the Tech in Surgery - Certified (NCCT) certificate which is awarded by the National Center for Competency Testing. Many of the surgical technician schools in Arizona will provide you with the training needed to go on and take these examinations, often preparing you for them in your final semester.
Certificates for surgical first assistants can also be obtained through the National Commission for the Certification of Surgical Assistants, the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting and the American Board of Surgical Assistants. You may also find that some jobs require basic life support or CPR certificates.
Resources for Surgical Technicians in Arizona