Surgical technicians, often referred surgical technologists, work in the operating room. As a surgical technician, you would assist during surgical procedures by preparing the surgical suites, arranging all necessary equipment, and assisting the doctor during the surgery. Some general duties surgical technicians may be expected to perform include:
- Preparing the operating room
- Arranging surgical equipment
- Preparing the patient or the surgical site
- Administering post-operative care to the patient
- Assisting during the procedure, including handing surgical tools, holding retractors, etc.
- Obtaining blood and tissue samples for testing
Surgical Technician Schools in Colorado
Surgical technician schools in Colorado require a high school diploma (or equivalent) or a GED to enroll. Schools that accept students living in the state of Colorado include:
- Aims Community College: A two-year public school that offers associate degrees in surgical technology and prepares you to work in an operating room from day one. Located in Greeley, Colorado.
- Concorde Career College: Located in Aurora, Colorado. This eight-month program provides you with a personalized education and was originally founded in 1966.
- Everest College: The Thornton campus offers surgical technologist associate degrees and is known for providing in-depth education covering all aspects of surgical procedures, sanitation, and technology.
- Anthem College: Located in Aurora, Colorado and established in 1994, Anthem College offers health care training programs for surgical technicians.
- Colorado Technical University in Greenwood Village: Located in Southeast Denver metro and offers accredited surgical technician degrees.
- Colorado Technical University in Colorado Springs: Located in Colorado Springs and originally founded in 1965, CTU offers undergraduate and graduate surgical technician training programs.
What to Expect from Colorado Surgical Technology Programs
When you enroll in surgical technology schools in Colorado, you will enter programs designed to provide you with support skills need to work in a surgical environment. You will be able to assist the entire surgical team, including nursing staff, and perform a variety of functions in the operating suite. Areas you study may include:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Surgical Practices
- Surgical Technology
- Infection Control
Most training programs include hands-on practice as part of their curriculum. By the end of your training, you will be prepared for a career in a variety of health care settings, including hospitals, out-patient surgical centers, physicians' offices, and dental offices.
Colorado Surgical Technician License
Once you have completed your education at an accredited surgical technician school in Colorado, you must be certified by The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting. Once you have passed, you may receive a Certified Surgical Technologist (CST). Note that you cannot take your certification test until you have completed the necessary training at surgical technology schools in Colorado.
You must also license through Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies. The Office of Surgical Assistant and Surgical Technologist Registration handles all new licenses, renewals, complaints and sanctions.
To apply for a license, you must meet the following criteria:
- Complete the Affidavit of Eligibility
- Pay the licensing fee
- Complete the fingerprint and criminal background check
- Complete your Health care Professional Profiling Program profile online
- Complete a diploma, certificate or have an associate degree applicable to the field
Resources for Surgical Technologist in Colorado