Surgical technologists are an important part of the medical and surgical team. Before an operation commences, surgical techs ensure the operating room and equipment is organized, sterile, and ready for use. During the operation, they stay close by the surgeon and provide him with the support he needs to succeed. Once the operation is completed, surgical techs stay behind and clean up the room in preparation for the next procedure.
Louisiana Surgical Technologist Schools
To become a surgical technician you must earn an associate degree or postsecondary certification. Depending on your goals and needs, surgical tech schools in Louisiana offer a number of programs for you to choose from, including some of the following:
- Baton Rouge Community College: Baton Rouge Community College offers a five-semester, 69-credit surgical technology program that will earn students an Associate Degree of Applied Science. However, before being accepted into the program, students must complete 30 credit hours of prerequisites, including anatomy and physiology.
- Bossier Parish Community College: Bossier Parish Community College provides a technical diploma to students who complete the 54-credit surgical technology program at the school. The program consists of 25 classroom hours and 29 hours of clinical experience.
- Delgado Community College: At Delgado Community College, students can complete the 32-credit surgical technology certificate program in as little as 14 months. Once they've done so, students can use the credits earned to continue pursuing an associate or baccalaureate degree in addition to their surgical tech certificate.
- Herzing University: Herzing University offers an Associate's-level program in surgical technology that spans 20 months and consists of 65 credit hours. In addition to preparing students for entry-level positions within the surgical technology field, Herzing also offers continuing education classes for students to become further specialized in specific areas of the field.
- Southern University - Shreveport Louisiana: Southern University - Shreveport Louisiana's Associate of Applied Science program in surgical technology is similar to Herzing University's in that it offers specialized continuing education opportunities in addition to the main program. It differs, however, in that students must pass the national certification exam before they are allowed to graduate from the program.
What to Expect from Surgical Technician Schools In Louisiana
Though surgical technology schools and programs vary in their length and intensity, their overall goal is to prepare students for entry-level positions in the field. To do so, the programs include a mix of classwork, where students gain a foundational understanding of surgical technology, and clinical experience, where they actually put this knowledge into practice.
Students should also use their time in their specific program to prepare for the national certification exam proctored by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting. As mentioned, some schools actually make passing this exam a requirement for graduating.
Getting Your License in Surgical Technician Schools In Louisiana
Surgical technologists are not required to be licensed under Louisiana state law, and must only have passed an accredited program to practice in the state.
However, as mentioned, the NBSTSA suggests students and graduates sit for the national certification exam. Upon becoming nationally certified, surgical technologists can transfer to another state easily, regardless of that state's laws regarding degrees or certifications.
Not only that, but being nationally certified gives entry-level professionals an advantage over other newcomers to the field who are not certified. Though the number of surgical technologist jobs is increasing nationwide, those just entering the field should do everything they can to make themselves marketable.
Resources for Surgical Technologists in Louisiana
- Baton Rouge Community College - Surgical Technology, http://www.mybrcc.edu/academics/nursing_and_allied_health/assurgicaltech.php, accessed October 19, 2016
- Bossier Parish Community College - Surgical Technology, http://bpcc.edu/catalog/current/sciencealliedhealth/td-surgicaltechnology.html, accessed October 19, 2016
- Delgado Community College - Surgical Technology, http://catalog.dcc.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=5&poid=515&returnto=300, accessed October 19, 2016
- Herzing University - Surgical Technology, https://www.herzing.edu/career-programs/healthcare/surgical-technology, accessed October 19, 2016
- National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting, http://nbstsa.org/, accessed October 19, 2016
- Southern University Shreveport Louisiana - Surgical Technology, http://www.susla.edu/departments/surgical-technology, accessed October 19, 2016
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics - Surgical Technologists, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/surgical-technologists.htm#tab-6, accessed October 19, 2016