Introduction to Paragould, Arkansas
Paragould was incorporated on March 21, 1883. The name Paragould is a combination of the names of two railroad presidents, J.W. Paramore and Jay Gould. The railroad played an important role in the town's development. It was after World War II when industry began to grow in the city. One of the first companies to open in the city was the Ed White Shoe Factory in the year 1947. Electric Emerson Company of St. Louis was one of the first big plants to open in Paragould in 1955.
Paragould and nearby Attractions
- Hemingway - Pfeiffer Museum
- Green County Museum
- Buffalo Island Museum
- Connie's Art Gallery
Things To Do In Paragould
The museums such as the Hemingway-Pfeiffer Museum, Buffalo Island Museum, and Green County Museum provide insight into the area's history. The city also has many parks including Crowley's Ridge State Park, Lake Frierson State Park, Lake Charles State Park, and Wayne Short Memorial Park. The city also has many churches including West View Baptist Church, Walnut Street Church of Christ, and the Church of God, amongst many others. Every year the city celebrates the Loose Caboose Festival.
One can avail flights from the Millington Municipal Airport.
Paragould Higher Education
Higher education can be pursued at Crowleys Ridge College. Other higher education institutes near Paragould are Arkansas State University-Main Campus, University of Memphis, Southwest Tennessee Community College-Union Campus, and The University of Tennessee Health Science Center.