Introduction to Concord, California
Founded in 1869, Concord, California is a city of nearly 125,000 people in the San Francisco Bay Area referred to as the "North Bay". Concord is located in the San Francisco'Oakland'Fremont metropolitan area, which has a population in excess of 4.1 million people.
Concord is approximately forty minutes northeast of San Francisco, thirty minutes northeast of Oakland, and forty to fifty minutes southeast of the Napa/Sonoma wine country. Nearby Oakland was ranked in the top ten "Most Fun U.S. Cities" in a study conducted by Cranium, Inc. in 2004. Nearby San Francisco was ranked in the top fifteen in the same study. Both Oakland and San Francisco are also past National Civic League "All-America City Award" winners.
Concord experiences warm summers and cool winters. Summer average daily temperatures are in the high eighties (degrees Fahrenheit), and winter average daily temperatures are in the mid-fifties (degrees Fahrenheit).
Concord Arts, Culture, and Entertainment
Concord residents have easy access to all of the arts, cultural, and entertainment offerings of nearby Oakland, San Francisco, as well as California wine country. Some of the more notable offerings in and around Concord include:
- The Blue Devils Drum & Bugle Corps
- The annual Concord Jazz Festival
- The Concord Skatepark
- The Contra Costa County Fair
- The Markham Regional Arboretum
- The Pixieland Amusement Park
- Six Flags Waterworld Concord
- The Willows Theater
- Wine country to the north
For the sports enthusiast, nearby Oakland and San Francisco provide a rich set of professional sports offerings, including:
- Major League Baseball's Oakland Athletics and San Francisco Giants.
- Major League Lacrosse's (MLL) San Francisco Dragons.
- The National Football League's (NFL) Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers.
- The United Soccer League's (USL) San Francisco Seals who play in the USL Premier Development League.