Introduction to Hawthorne, California
Southwestern Los Angeles County is the location of the city of Hawthorne, California. Incorporated in 1922, the city covers a six square mile area and is ideally situated, located less than 5 miles from the Los Angeles International Airport and surrounded by three major freeways (Interstates 105, 110, and 405) affording quick access to a wide variety of Southern California cultural assets, entertainment, sports, mountains, and beaches. In particular, Hawthorne is adjacent to Manhattan Beach and close to the coastal towns of Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach.
Industrial and commercial development in Hawthorne proceeded at a steady pace after the 1939 arrival to the city of Northrop Aircraft Inc. (which has become today's Northrop Grumman Corporation). Dozens of subcontracting firms followed and with the expansion of the aviation/aerospace industry, Hawthorne enjoyed a long period of prosperity in terms of jobs and real estate growth. Since that time, Hawthorne has grown from a small, mostly rural community to a well-rounded assortment of residences and industries.
Music fans will recognize Hawthorne as the birthplace of Brian, Dennis, and Carl Wilson, founders and members of the Beach Boys. Although their boyhood home was actually demolished in the late 1980s as part of Century Freeway construction project, it was bestowed the designation of a California State Historic Landmark in May 2005.
Attractions in Hawthorne and nearby areas:
A wealth of cultural and entertainment options are available within a short drive of Hawthorne. Some of these are:
- The Hollywood Museum - Four floors of displays which capture the magic of past and present motion pictures.
- Aquarium of the Pacific - Dozens of aquatic exhibits.
- Rancho Santa Ana Botanical Gardens (Claremont) - Home to 70,000 native Californian plants.
- Universal Studios - The world's largest working film and television studio also features rides, shows, and amusements.
- Long Beach Museum of Art
- California Science Center - The west coast's largest hands-on science museum.
- Six Flags Hurricane Harbor
- Los Angeles Zoo
- Grauman's Chinese Theatre
- The Gamble House (Pasadena) - A National Historic Landmark featuring American Arts and Crafts style architecture.
- Los Angeles Maritime Museum
- Six Flags Magic Mountain
- Museum of Flying (Santa Monica)
- Griffith Observatory
The following Los Angeles-based major league pro teams play their games only a short drive away from Hawthorne:
- Baseball: LA Dodgers
- Basketball: LA Clippers/LA Lakers
- Hockey: LA Kings
- Lacrosse: LA Riptide
- Soccer: LA Galaxy
Los Angeles is also home to the Avengers of the Arena Football League.