Introduction to Lancaster, California
Founded in 1876, Lancaster is a city of over 125,000 people located in Southern California, in Los Angeles County. Lancaster is an hour and fifteen minutes northeast of Los Angeles. Edwards Air Force Base, home to the Air Force Flight Test Center, is just to the northeast of Lancaster.
Lancaster has received "League of California Cities Helen Putnam Awards of Excellence" in nearly twenty categories since the awards inception in 1982. Nearby Los Angeles was ranked in the top thirty "Most Fun U.S. Cities" in a 2004 study conducted by Cranium, Inc.
Lancaster experiences dry sunny weather. Summers are hot with average daily temperatures in the mid-nineties (degrees Fahrenheit). Winters are cool with average daily temperatures in the high fifties and low sixties (degrees Fahrenheit).
Lancaster Arts, Culture, and Entertainment
Lancaster residents have relatively easy access to the cultural, and entertainment offerings of nearby Los Angeles. Some attractions of note in Lancaster include:
- The Antelope Valley Fair & Alfalfa Festival
- The City of Lancaster Aerospace Walk of Honor
- The Lancaster Golf Center
- The Lancaster Performing Arts Center
Lancaster is also home to a Minor League Baseball (MiLB) team, the Lancaster JetHawks. The JetHawks are a Class A Advanced affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks. Lancaster residents also have access to the major sports offerings of Los Angeles, which include:
- The Arena Football League's (AFL) Los Angeles Avengers.
- Major League Baseball's Los Angeles Dodgers.
- Major League Soccer's (MLS) Club Deportivo Chivas USA and the Los Angeles Galaxy.
- The National Basketball Association's (NBA) Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Lakers.
- The National Hockey League's (NHL) Los Angeles Kings.
- The United Soccer League's (USL) Premier Development League Los Angeles Storm, and Southern California Seahorses.
- The WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks.
Los Angeles County is one of the few regions in the United States where an individual can go swimming at the beach in the morning, and skiing in the afternoon.