Introduction to Norwalk California
Incorporated in 1957, Norwalk is a city in southeastern Los Angeles County, in Southern California. Norwalk is approximately twenty minutes southeast of Los Angeles, fifteen minutes northwest of Anaheim, and an hour and forty five minutes northwest of San Diego.
The area now known as Norwalk was first settled by the Shoshonean Indian tribe. The first European settlers were Spanish settlers who arrived in the late 1760s.
Norwalk is located only 25 minutes west of Los Angeles International (LAX) airport. Norwalk provides easy access to the Santa Ana Freeway (I-5), the San Gabriel River Freeway (I-605), the Century Freeway (I-105, the Artesia Freeway (CA/SR-91), the Imperial Highway (CA/SR-90), and Firestone Boulevard (CA/SR-42).
Norwalk has received six "League of California Cities Helen Putnam Awards of Excellence" between 1997 and 2005, in categories such as "Children, Youth & Families", "Community Services", "Public Safety", and "Youth Development". The Cesar Chavez Elementary school in the Norwalk-La Mirada Unified School District was recognized as a "Distinguished Elementary School" by the "California School Recognition Program".
Norwalk Arts, Culture, and Entertainment
Norwalk residents have easy access to all of the cultural and entertainment attractions of Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, and Anaheim. Some of the items of note in and around the City of Norwalk include:
- The Hargitt House Museum
- The major theme park attractions of nearby Anaheim including Disneyland
- Norwalk Park
Southern California is rich in professional sports offerings. Norwalk's location provides residents with easy access to the following professional sports teams:
- Major League Baseball (MLB) - the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and the Los Angeles Dodgers. A road trip south adds the San Diego Padres to this list.
- Minor League Baseball (MiLB) - the Inland Empire 66ers, the Lake Elsinore Storm, and the Lancaster JetHawks. The 66ers are a Class A Advanced affiliate of the Seattle Mariners, the storm are a Class A Advanced affiliate of the San Diego Padres, and the JetHawks are a Class A Advanced affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- NBA - the Los Angeles Clippers and the Los Angeles Lakers.
- WNBA - the Los Angeles Sparks.
- The Arena Football League (AFL) - Los Angeles Avengers.
- The National Football League (NFL) - San Diego Chargers in San Diego to the south.
- Major League Lacrosse (MLL) - The Los Angeles Riptide.
- Major League Soccer (MLS) - Club Deportivo Chivas USA and the Los Angeles Galaxy.
- The United Soccer League (USL) Los Angeles Storm, and Southern California Seahorses who play in the USL Premier Development League. Also to the south, the United Soccer League (USL) USL Premier Development League San Diego Gauchos and the USL W-League San Diego Gauchos Women.
- The ECHL Sand Diego Gulls in San Diego to the south.
- The National Hockey League (NHL) - Anaheim Mighty Ducks and the Los Angeles Kings.