Introduction to Placentia, California
Placentia, California, in Orange county, is 3 miles E of Fullerton, California (center to center) and 3 miles NE of Anaheim, California. The unincorporated community of Atwood is part of the city. Placentia is regarded as a suburban area and has a small town atmosphere. The city includes a large Hispanic population.
In 1837 Juan Ontiveros was given a land grant by the Mexican Governor who was in charge of the region. The large acreage covered numerous current cities including Placentia. In 1865 English speaking pioneers began to arrive and purchased acreage. The name of Placentia was chosen by Sara Anne McFadden, an early settler. The name comes from a Latin word which means "a pleasant place to live." In 1910 the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railway arrived. The agricultural industry, especially citrus along with avocados, grapes and walnuts were major factors for the economy.
Placentia Attractions and Activities
The historic George Key Ranch includes a botanical garden and provides visitors with an idea of the lifestyle in the early days of the region. It's included in the National Register of Historic Places. The Summer Concert Series, located in Tri-City Park features a wide variety of musical performers. The Heritage Festival and Parade is a popular event. The city features numerous parks for outdoor activities.
The nearby Orange County Fair is enjoyed by families. The popular Disneyland and Knottsberry Farm are close by. Families enjoy touring the Orange County Zoo. The nearby Fullerton Arboretum is a noteworthy destination. Residents also enjoy the county's beaches, activities and attractions in Los Angeles and Long Beach.
The city is served by the nearby John Wayne Airport. An Amtrak train station is close by.
Placentia Higher Education
Fullerton State University, Chapman University, Fullerton College, and South Baylo University are nearby.