Introduction to Simi Valley, California
Simi Valley is located in Ventura County, in Southern California. Simi Valley is approximately forty-five minutes northwest of Los Angeles, and forty minutes east of Ventura. It is approximately a forty minute drive to the Pacific Ocean to the west, including famous Malibu Beach. Simi Valley is conveniently located near several major freeways providing easy access to all of California, including the San Diego (405) Freeway, the Golden State (5) Freeway, the Ronald Reagan/Simi Valley-San Fernando Valley (118) Freeway, and the Moorpark (23) Freeway.
Simi Valley was originally inhabited by the Chumash Indians. The first European settlement was by the Spanish. El Rancho Simi was the earliest Spanish land grant within Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties.
Simi Valley and the surrounding area have hosted television series such as Little House on the Prairie and M*A*S*H. Simi Valley neighborhoods were also featured in Steven Spielberg's E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial movie.
Simi Valley was ranked in the top ten safest cities in America according to recent FBI data. Similarly, Simi Valley ranked in the top twenty safest cities according to the 2005 annual "Safest City and Metropolitan Area Awards" by the Morgan Quitno Press. Two schools from the Simi Valley Unified School District, the Abraham Lincoln Elementary and the Wood Ranch Elementary were named as "California Distinguished Schools". Another, the Vista Fundamental School, received an "Honorable Mention Award".
Simi Valley Arts, Culture, and Entertainment
Simi Valley residents can easily take advantage of all of the arts and entertainment attractions of Los Angeles to the south as well as the rest of the Los Angeles metropolitan area. Some of the more notable attractions in and around Simi Valley include:
- California Historical Landmark Grandma Prisbrey's Bottle Village
- The Ronald Reagan Presidential Library
- The Simi Valley Cultural Arts Center
- The Strathearn Historical Park
- The Tierra Rejada Ranch
This part of Southern California has numerous professional sports offerings to keep sports fans happy. Sports teams near Simi Valley, include:
- The Los Angeles Avengers of the Arena Football League (AFL).
- The Los Angeles Dodgers of Major League Baseball (MLB).
- Club Deportivo Chivas USA and the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer (MLS).
- The Lancaster JetHawks, and Inland Empire 66ers of Minor League Baseball (MiLB). The JetHawks are a Class A Advanced affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks, and the 66ers are a Class A Advanced affiliate of the Seattle Mariners.
- The Los Angeles Clippers and the Los Angeles Lakers of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
- The Los Angeles Kings of the National Hockey League (NHL).
- The Los Angeles Storm, and Southern California Seahorses who play in the United Soccer League's (USL) Premier Development League.
- The Los Angeles Sparks of the WNBA.