Introduction to West Covina California
Incorporated in 1923, West Covina is a city in eastern Los Angeles County, in Southern California. West Covina is approximately twenty minutes east of Los Angeles. It is also near the Angeles National Forest and the San Bernardino National Forest.
The city of West Covina had an interesting beginning. It was incorporated in 1923 to prevent the City of Covina from establishing a sewage farm within the current city limits.
West Covina has access to two nearby airports, the Ontario International Airport which is located 20 miles east of the city , and Los Angeles International Airport which is located 40 miles west of the City. A freeway, Interstate 10 (the San Bernardino Freeway) runs through the northern part of the West Covina. Other freeways that West Covina residents have easy access to include State Highway 60 (Pomona Freeway), Interstate 605 (San Gabriel Valley River Freeway), and State Highway 57 (Orange Freeway).
West Covina has received six "League of California Cities Helen Putnam Awards of Excellence" between 1997 and 2005, the most recent of which were in 2003 for "Community Services & Economic Development" and "Public Safety". West Covina's Monte Vista Elementary was recognized as a "Distinguished Elementary School" by the "California School Recognition Program". Two other schools, the Merced Elementary school, and the Vine Elementary were recognized as "Honorable Mention Schools". West Covina High School also received a "Distinguished Middle and High Schools" award.
West Covina Arts, Culture, and Entertainment
West Covina residents have easy access to all of the cultural and entertainment attractions of Los Angeles and surrounding Los Angeles County. Some of the items of note in and around West Covina include:
- The Lakes Entertainment Center
- Movies in the Park in the Civic Center Courtyard
- The Summer Concert Series at the Lakes Entertainment Center
- The West Covina Street Festival and Farmers' Market every Saturday at the West Covina Parkway Plaza
West Covina's location provides residents with easy access to many professional teams, including:
- The Arena Football League's (AFL) Los Angeles Avengers.
- Major League Baseball's (MLB) Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- Major League Lacrosse's (MLL) Los Angeles Riptide.
- Major League Soccer's (MLS) Club Deportivo Chivas USA and the Los Angeles Galaxy.
- Minor League Baseball's (MiLB) Lancaster JetHawks, and Inland Empire 66ers. The JetHawks are a Class A Advanced affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks, and the 66ers are a Class A Advanced affiliate of the Seattle Mariners.
- The NBA's Los Angeles Clippers and the Los Angeles Lakers.
- The National Hockey League's (NHL) Anaheim Mighty Ducks and the Los Angeles Kings.
- The United Soccer League's (USL) Los Angeles Storm, and Southern California Seahorses who play in the USL Premier Development League.
- The WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks.