Introduction to Avon, Connecticut
Avon was originally a part of Farmington, and was settled in in 1645. At that time it was known as Northington. According to a land charter granted by the Duke of York, the area was sold to Puritans in 1830. The community broke off from Farmington, and established a separate town called Avon. It was named after the Avon River in England. The town of Avon was officially incorporated in 1830.
Avon and nearby Attractions
- Avon Museum
- Farmington Valley Art Center
- Richard W Dunne Library
- Secret Lake
- Fisher Meadows Recreation Area
- Bell Compo Golf Course
Things To Do In Avon
The Avon Historical Society Building, the Avon Municipal Complex, the Avon Museum, the Avon Town Hall and the Farmington Valley Art Center could prove exciting to those interested in the local history of Avon. The Nod Brook Mall Shopping Center, Plaza 44 Shopping Center and Caldor Plaza Shopping Center are ideal destinations for shoppers.
Regular services are offered by the Hartford-Brainard Airport.
Avon Higher Education
For higher education, one can enroll at the University of Hartford, Manchester Community College or Central Connecticut State University.