Introduction to Thomaston, Connecticut
The town of Thomaston, officially incorporated in 1875, was named after an area entrepreneur, Seth Thomas. Originally, Thomaston was a part of Plymouth, Connecticut and was known as Plymouth Hollow. The town was first settled in the early 17th century. Seth Thomas's clock factory is still located in Thomaston.
Thomaston and nearby Attractions
- Black Rock State Park
- Barnes Museum
- Harriet Beecher Stowe House
- Stanley - Whitman House
- Dennis Hill State Park
Things To Do In Thomaston
Tourists coming to Thomaston will find two major historic sites, which are the Harriet Beecher Stowe House and the Stanley - Whitman House. Built in 1871, the Harriet Beecher Stowe House was home to the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin. The Stanley - Whitman House is a wooden frame house that was built during the 18th century. The Black Rock State Park and the Dennis Hill State Park offer tourists ample recreational opportunities. The Barnes Museum, another local attraction, displays antique furniture, glassware, and other household items built by Arnon Bradley in 1836.
Bradley International Airport provides air transportation.
Thomaston Higher Education
Facilities for higher education are available at Naugatuck Valley Community College, Central Connecticut State University, and Quinnipiac University.