Introduction to Edgewater, Florida
Edgewater, Florida, in Volusia county, is 17 miles SE of Daytona Beach, Florida (center to center) and 103 miles SE of Jacksonville, Florida. The city benefits from easy access to the nearby cities and towns with which it shares the Daytona Beach metropolitan area.
Edgewater was founded in 1871 by Dr. John Milton Hawks, and was originally known as Hawks Park. Dr, Hawks donated four and a half acres of land to the city. He had planned to build a library, town hall and a cemetery on this land but fell ill and died in 1910 before he could accomplish his goal. However, his wife donated funds that were used to build the library and the town hall. The name of this area was changed to Edgewater by the Florida State Legislature in 1924.
Edgewater and Nearby Attractions
- Indian River Lagoon.
- Smyrna Beach.
- Turtle Mound.
- Sugar Mill Ruins.
- Old Fort Park.
Edgewater has a park area spread out across 146 acres. These parks allow for a variety of activities, from swimming, fishing, picnicking and fitness trials to football, tennis, golf, racquetball, bicycling and baseball facilities. The Riverside Drive is very popular among nature lovers, walkers and bicyclists. A number of cultural activities are also organized regularly at Edgewater.
Daytona Beach International Airport is nearby. The city is also served by the Massey Ranch Airpark.
Edgewater Higher Education
The city is served by the Daytona Beach Community College.