Introduction to Green Cove Springs, Florida
Green Cove Springs, Florida, in Clay county, is 23 miles S of Jacksonville, Florida The city is conveniently located inside the Jacksonville metropolitan area. There are an estimated 5,378 people in Green Cove Springs.
Green Cove Springs History
Green Cove Springs was originally inhabited by Native Americans who were attracted to the area because of the existence of a warm mineral spring in the area. George E. Clarke was the first person to take initiative in developing the area, which began when he built a sawmill here in 1816. It was incorporated in 1854 as White Sulfur Springs. It was renamed Green Cove Springs in 1866, and became a county seat in 1871.
Green Cove Springs and nearby Attractions
- Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
- Kingsley Plantation
- Guana River State Park
- Saint Augustine Lighthouse & Museum
Things To Do In Green Cove Springs
Historic sites such as the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument and the Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens may be visited from Green Cove. Those interested in art may enjoy a visit to art galleries like the Erbco Art Gallery and the Jacksonville Museum of Contemporary Art. Local parks include Worthington Park and Guana River State Park. At Guana River State Park, hiking, boating and fishing can all be enjoyed.
Green Cove Springs Transportation
Jacksonville International is the nearest major airport.
Green Cove Springs Higher Education
Nearby colleges and universities include the University of North Florida, Saint Johns River Community College, Florida Community College, the University of Florida and Santa Fe Community College.