Introduction to Spring Hill, Florida
Spring Hill is an unincorporated community located in Hernando County, Florida. Sitting along Florida's western coastline only four miles from the Gulf of Mexico, Spring Hill is situated 40 miles northwest of Tampa and 53 miles north of St. Petersburg. Surrounding communities include Weeki Wachee, Hernando Beach, Aripeka, Brooksville, Hudson, Homosassa and Port Richey.
Things to do in Spring Hill
Considered the northern gateway to Tampa Bay, Hernando County boasts some of the state's finest bass fishing in its lakes and rivers. Other outdoor recreation in the area includes hiking, canoeing, golf and biking on both paved and wilderness trails. Spring Hill is home to Buccaneer Bay, Florida’s only water park housed within a completely natural setting. The attraction features waterslides, a tube ride, bumper boats, a children’s play area and a beach. Another Spring Hill attraction is the "Weeki Wachee City of Mermaids" show, featuring daily underwater mermaid shows, exotic bird shows, wilderness river cruises and a petting zoo. The Weeki Wachee Preserve is a 6,000 acre protected wildlife area that lies between Spring Hill and its neighboring community of Hernando Beach.
Spring Hill is within reasonable driving distance of some of Florida's major attractions, including the following:
- Adventure Island (Tampa - 40 miles).
- Busch Gardens (Tampa - 40 miles).
- Lowry Park Zoological Garden (Tampa - 40 miles).
- Tampa Museum of Art (Tampa - 40 miles).
- Celebration Station (Clearwater - 42 miles).
- International Sport Aviation Museum (ISAM) (Lakeland - 50 miles).
- St. Petersburg Museum of History (St. Petersburg - 53 miles).
- Salvador Dali Museum (St. Petersburg - 53 miles).
- Walt Disney World (Lake Buena Vista - 64 miles).
- Cypress Gardens Adventure Park (Winter Haven - 66 miles).
- SeaWorld (Orlando - 73 miles).
- Universal Studios Florida (Orlando - 73 miles).
Less than an hour away, the Tampa Bay area contains some of the state's premier pro sports teams. Among these are the Tampa Bay Devil Rays (Major League Baseball), the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (National Football League) and the Tampa Bay Lightning (National Hockey League). Minor league baseball teams in the area include the Tampa Yankees (Class-A affiliate of the New York Yankees) and the Clearwater Threshers (Class-A affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies).