Introduction to Sugar Hill, Georgia
Sugar Hill History
There is an interesting story behind the naming of the city of Sugar Hill. According to one tradition, freight wagons traveled regularly to Cumming many years ago. On one such trip, a heavily loaded wagon lost a wheel on a high hill and spilled its load of sugar. Thereafter, the area came to be known as "The hill where the sugar spilled." This name was later shortened to "The Sugar Hill" and this eventually became just "Sugar Hill." It was officially incorporated in 1939.
Sugar Hill and nearby Attractions
- Lanier Museum of Natural History
- Barrington Hall
- First Baptist Church of Sugar Hill
- Southeastern Railway Museum
- Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area
- Robinson Park
Things To Do In Sugar Hill
There are a number of popular tourist attractions near Sugar Hill. The Barrington Hall, which was once the home of Barrington King, the co-founder of Roswell, and the Lanier Museum of Natural History are close by. One can spend some peaceful time at the First Baptist Church of Sugar Hill. At the Fort Yargo State Park, one can view the log fort built by settlers in 1792. This site sits on 1,814 acres of land and offers facilities for camping, bicycling, hiking, boating, fishing and picnicking. The Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area is another famous and popular tourist spot. Apart from fishing, boating, biking, hiking and picnicking, one can also enjoy kayaking, whitewater rafting and horseback riding here.
Sugar Hill Transportation
Dobbins Air Reserve Base offers regular air transportation services.
Sugar Hill Higher Education
Opportunities for higher education are provided by the Gwinnett Technical College and Gainesville College.