Introduction to Blackfoot, Idaho
Blackfoot was named by the traders and trappers of the Hudson's Bay Company, who crossed the area in 1818. They met with the Indians with the blackened footwear, which was caused by wildfires that occurred in the area in 1812. They referred to them as the 'Blackfoot Crowd'. In 1874, the first general store was opened by Major Danilson and Fredrick S. Stevenson. A post office was established on October 10, 1878. On November 10, 1878, railway track was laid through the town. On March 20, 1879, the area was renamed to Blackfoot. It became the county seat of the newly formed Bingham County on January 13, 1885.
Blackfoot and nearby Attractions
- Bingham County Historical Museum
- Idaho Potato Museum
- Fort Hall
- Jensens Lake
Things To Do In Blackfoot
Tourists can visit the Idaho Potato Museum and the Bingham County Historical Museum. The Jenson Grove Park, Jenson's Lake, and the Airport Park are also worth visiting. Every year, Blackfoot hosts several recreational events and special programs like the Eastern Idaho State Fair.
Pocatello Regional Airport is nearby.
Blackfoot Higher Education
Idaho State University, Ricks College, Utah State University, and Weber State University offer opportunity for higher education to the residents.