Introduction to Evergreen Park, Illinois
Evergreen Park History
The present day village of Evergreen Park was first settled in 1828. The Grand Trunk Railroad was the first railroad that arrived in the village in 1873. The first school of Evergreen Park was built in 1875. During the 1890s, the area became a major recreation center and attracted a number of Chicagoans to its beer gardens and picnic groves. In December, 1893, Evergreen Park was incorporated as a village. It was named after the park located on 97th Street and Homan Avenue.
Evergreen Park and nearby Attractions
- Bronzeville Children's Museum
- Museum of Science and Industry
- Balzekas Museum of Lithuanian Culture
- William W. Powers State Recreation Area
- Hollywood Park - Crestwood
Things To Do In Evergreen Park
Evergreen Park is also known as the "Village of Churches." The village has 13 churches including the Bethel Bible Church, Park Lane Christian Church, Evergreen Park Presbyterian Church, United By Faith Lutheran Church, First United Methodist Church, Evergreen Park Christian Church, Maranatha Chapel, and Saint Bernadette Church. You can also visit the Evergreen Aqua Park that offers a baby splash pool, a keyhole-shaped pool, and a kid’s play land. The other parks and playgrounds include Mini Park, Northwest Park, Evergreen Park, and Southeast Park.
Evergreen Park Transportation
Chicago Midway International Airport is nearby.
Evergreen Park Higher Education
City Colleges of Chicago - Richard J Daley College, City Colleges of Chicago - Olive - Harvey College, and Chicago State University are close to the village.