Introduction to Flossmoor, Illinois
Flossmoor, which was used by the Native Americans as a winter hunting site, was first settled in the 1840s by the German immigrants. The area, originally served by the Illinois Central Railroad., was officially incorporated as a village in 1924. The village derived its name from Scottish terms “floss”, which means “dew on the flowers”, and “moor”, which means “gentle rolling countryside”. It is located in Cook County, which was created on January 15, 1831.
Flossmoor and nearby Attractions
- Flossmoor Commons Shopping Center
- Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park
- Tinley Park Historical Society and Museum
- Lockport Pioneer Settlement
- William W. Powers State Recreation Area
- Hoosier Prairie State Nature Preserve
Things To Do In Flossmoor
Flossmoor is home to many parks and playgrounds such as the Pheasant Trails Park, the Flossmoor Park, the Maynegaite Park, the Highland Park, Irons Oak Park, and Leavitt Avenue Park. One can shop at the Flossmoor Commons Shopping Center. History buffs can visit the the Tinley Park Historical Society and Museum, the Midwest Carvers Museum, and the Matteson Historical Museum. The William W. Powers State Recreation Area, the Buckley Homestead County Park, the Lemon Lake County Park, the Oak Ridge Prairie County Park, and the Hoosier Prairie State Nature Preserve are less than half an hour's drive away.
Chicago Midway International Airport is also less than half an hour's drive away.
Flossmoor Higher Education
Governors State University, South Suburban College, and Prairie State College provide higher education programs in the area.