Introduction to Freeport, Illinois
The area now known as Freeport was originally called "Winneshiek". It got its current name from the generosity of settler William "Tutty" Baker who offered a free ferry across the Pecatonica River. The name "Winneshiek" was later adopted by the Freeport Community Theatre Group and has been preserved to this day. The Stephenson County was formed in 1837 and Freeport became the seat of government in 1838.
Freeport and nearby Attractions
- Freeport Public Library
- Freeport Park District - Historical Museum
- Freeport Prairie Nature Preserve
- West Avenue Shopping Center
- Park Hills Golf Course
- Freeport Raceway
Things To Do In Freeport
Visitors interested in learning about the historical and cultural background of the city can visit the Freeport Public Library, the Freeport City Hall, the Stephenson County Jail, and the Stephenson County Historical Museum. There are also a number of beautiful churches and cemeteries around the city. The shopping centers provide a host of entertainment facilities to visitors. The parks are ideal for outings with family and friends.
Greater Rockford Airport is close by.
Freeport Higher Education
Higher educational opportunities are provided by Highland Community College, Rock Valley College, and University of Wisconsin Colleges.