Introduction to Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Glen Ellyn village is located in DuPage County and is considered to be part of the Chicago Metro area. Glen Ellyn is approximately 20 miles away from Chicago. The village takes its name from a local glen as well as Ellyn Hill whose husband established the village.
In 1834 Deacon Winslow Churchill and his family arrived in what is now known as Glen Ellyn. They are recognized as the first landowners in the area. In 1849 a railroad was constructed to run through the village. A few years later the postmaster named the village Danby which was his place of birth in the State of Vermont. In 1862 the first Congregational church was established.
More than 60 years later St. Petronille and the Maryknoll Seminary were constructed by Roman Catholics. Lake Ellyn was created in 1889 by constructing a dam on the stream that flowed near the village. The official name of Glenn Ellyn was given to the village in 1891 when the area was promoted as a suburb as well as a health resort of Chicago.
O'Hare airport is in the vicinity of Glen Ellyn village. The PACE bus system offers transportation to nearby cities including Wheaton and Lombard. Residents can reach Chicago by a Metro commuter train.
Glen Ellyn is home to the main campus of the community college; College of DuPage. The college offers the following degrees:
- Associate in Arts
- Associate in Science
- Associate in Engineering Sciences
- Associate in Applied Science
- Associate in General Studies
- Associate in Fine Arts degrees in Art and Music
Attractions and Activities
- The Forest Preserve District of DuPage County was created in 1915 in order to prevent the deletion of woodlands in the area. The District offers various educational programs. The area also provides visitors with opportunities for boating, fishing, picnicking, camping, hiking, horseback riding as well as cross-country skiing
- The Village Links of Glen Ellyn is a 7200 yard championship golf course that is considered to be one of the premier golf courses in the Midwest. The golf course has been the location of several premier golf tournaments.
- Stacey's Tavern, located in Glen Ellyn was a stagecoach inn constructed in 1846. The building has been restored and features numerous artifacts.
- Lake Ellyn is located close to the downtown area.
- The Taste of Glen Ellyn is an annual event which features crafts, numerous vendors, music and a carnival.