Introduction to Libertyville, Illinois
Libertyville, Illinois, in Lake county, is 7 miles SW of Waukegan, Illinois (center to center) and 33 miles NW of Chicago, Illinois. The people of the village are in the Chicago metropolitan area. Libertyville has a population of 20,742.
The Potawatomi Indians inhabited the village of Libertyville until 1829. George Vardin was the first white settler of the area. He built a cabin at the site of present day Cook Memorial Public Library District. The area at that time was known as Vardin's Grove. Dr. Jesse Foster was the first practicing physician of Libertyville, and Horace Butler was its first lawyer. The area was named Independence Grove in 1836. The name was changed to Libertyville because there was another place by the name of Independence Grove in Illinois. The first post office was established on April 16, 1837. The Milwaukee Railroad entered the village in 1881. The Village of Libertyville was incorporated in 1882 and John Locke was elected as the first village president.
Libertyville and nearby Attractions
- Ansel B. Cook Victorian Home Museum
- David Adler Cultural Center
- Cuneo Museum & Gardens
- Des Plaines River Trail and Greenway
- Six Flags Great America
- Chain O' Lakes Area ArtWorks Children's Museum
Things To Do In Libertyville
There are a number of parks in Libertyville including Charles Brown Park, Adler Memorial Park, Nicholas-Dowden Park, Riverside Park, Bolander Park, Butler Lake Park, and Blueberry Hill Park. Boating and fishing can be enjoyed on Lake Minear, Saint Marys Lake, Butler Lake, and Liberty Lake. Golf enthusiasts can spend their leisure hours at Riverside Golf Course. Among the local shopping centers of Libertyville are Liberty Mill Plaza Shopping Center, New Towne Square Shopping Center, Village Shopping Center, Win-Mil Shopping Center, and Red Top Plaza Shopping Center.
The nearest airport is Kenosha Regional Airport.
Libertyville Higher Education
College of Lake County, William Rainey Harper College, and Trinity International University are close to the village.