Introduction to McHenry, Illinois
McHenry was originally inhabited by Native Americans. It was named after Major William McHenry. The McLean, McCullom, Wheeler, and Boone families were early settlers of the area. The first log cabin of McHenry was built in 1836. Until 1844, the city served as county seat for the McHenry County. The Fox Valley Railroad first entered the city in 1854. McHenry was originally incorporated as a village in 1872 and reincorporated as a city on May 15, 1923.
McHenry and nearby Attractions
- Moraine Hills State Park
- Volo Bog State Natural Area
- Chain O' Lakes Area ArtWorks Children's Museum
- Volo Auto Museum
- Six Flags Great America
Things To Do In McHenry
The city of McHenry has approximately 35 parks including the William H. Althoff Park, Cold Springs Park, Green Street Park, Lakeland Park, East Beach Park, Jaycees Park, North Oak Park, Shamrock Farms Park, and Wheeler Park. Picnic shelters are available at Knox Park, Veteran's Park, and Petersen Park. You can also enjoy skating at the McHenry Zone Skate Park. Leisure hours can be spent at the McHenry Market Place Shopping Center.
Air transportation is available from Kenosha Regional Airport.
McHenry Higher Education
Opportunities for higher studies are provided by McHenry County College, Elgin Community College, Gateway Technical College, College of Lake County, and Trinity International University.