Introduction to Richton Park, Illinois
Richton Park History
In the 1840s, German immigrants were the first to settle near the area now known as Richton. The area was then known as Thorn Creek. When the Illinois Central Railroad was laid through the region in 1852, land developers established a village around the track and renamed the area Richton Park. In 1926, Richton Park was the last train station in the area. There was a temporary rise in real estate trading in the village towards the late 1920s. In the following years, however, Richton Park again settled down as a dedicated farming community, with extensive asparagus plantations surrounding it.
Richton Park and nearby Attractions
- Jones Park
- New German Evangelical Zion Cemetery
- Midwest Carvers Museum
- Richton Park Metrorail Station
- Richton Park Public Library
- Lake George
Things To Do In Richton Park
The village has many beautiful parks such as Jones Park, Pierce Park, Klawitter Park and Glaeser Park, all of which provide picnic spots. Lake George is a crystal clear water body and a well-known fishing spot.
Richton Park Transportation
Chicago Midway International Airport provides air transportation facilities.
Richton Park Higher Education
Governors State University and Chicago State University provide higher education to the people of the Richton Park.