Introduction to West Chicago, Illinois
West Chicago, Illinois, in Du Page county, is 4 miles W of Wheaton, Illinois and 28 miles W of Chicago, Illinois. The city is part of the Chicago metropolitan statistical area. About 23,469 people live in West Chicago.
West Chicago History
West Chicago was first settled in by Europeans in the 1830s. However, Alonzo Harvey, who visited the area in 1842, was the first permanent settler of West Chicago. The Galena and Chicago Union Railroad first entered the area around 1849. The area was initially named Turner, after the president of the G&CU, John B. Turner. He donated his land for the construction of a Congregational church in 1855. The Turner Public School was opened in 1873 and was renamed the Northside School in 1887. The name Turner was changed to West Chicago in 1896. It was incorporated as a city in 1906.
West Chicago and nearby Attractions
- West Dupage Park Forest Preserve
- Cosley Zoo
- Ferson Creek Fen Nature Preserve
- DuPage Children's Museum
- First Division Museum
- Kline Creek Farm
Things To Do In West Chicago
While staying in West Chicago, you can plan a day trip to the Kline Creek Farm at Timber Ridge Forest Preserve. The Reed - Keppler Park and West Chicago Prairie County Forest Preserve are also worth visiting. The Fox River Trolley Museum, DuPage Children's Museum and Cosley Zoo are also nearby.
West Chicago Transportation
Air transportation is available from Chicago O’Hare International Airport.
West Chicago Higher Education
Wheaton College, Elgin Community College, North Central College, and Elmhurst College offer opportunities for higher studies to residents of West Chicago.