Introduction to Elwood, Indiana
Located in Madison county, Elwood, Indiana, is 14 miles NW of Anderson, Indiana (center to center) and 39 miles NE of Indianapolis, Indiana. The city is considered part of the Indianapolis metropolitan area.
Elwood was originally known as Quincy and founded by Mark Simmons, James Anderson, and J. B. Frazier. The first school was built in 1853. The Cincinnati and Chicago Railroad entered the area in 1857. The city was renamed Elwood on June 15, 1869, after the son of a settler called Jesse B. Fraiser. Elwood was originally incorporated into the state in 1872, as a town. Later, in 1891, it was reincorporated as a city; William DeHority was elected as the first mayor of the city.
Elwood and nearby Attractions
- Greentown Glass Museum
- Seiberling Mansion
- Fairmount Historical Museum
- Mounds State Park
- Indiana Transportation Museum
- Red Bridge State Recreation Area
Things To Do In Elwood
The Indiana Transportation Museum, Elwood Haynes Museum, Greentown Glass Museum, James Dean Memorial Gallery, and Automotive Heritage Museum are located in the city. The Callaway Park is nearby. The Red Bridge State Recreation Area, Mounds State Park, Summit Lake State Park, and Pearson Mill State Recreation Area offer many recreational opportunities. The annual Glass Festival is organized by the residents of Elwood in the month of August.
The closest airport to the city is Anderson Municipal Airport - Darlington Field.
Elwood Higher Education
Schools for higher education are available at the Anderson University, Ball State University, and Indiana Wesleyan University.