Introduction to Oelwein, Iowa
Oelwein was laid out in Gustav Oelwein’s corn field. This city got its name from the Oelwein family. The first settler was a professional man at Dubuque. The emergence of rail lines and repair shops in Oelwein enabled it to earn the nicknames of the "Shop City" and the "Hub City". Oelwein was incorporated as a town in 1888 and as a city in 1897.
Oelwein and nearby Attractions
- Hub City Heritage Railway Museum
- Oelwein Area Historical Society Museum
- Delwein City Park
- Orville Christophel Park
Things To Do In Oelwein
Oelwein residents visit the many local parks including the Delwein City Park, Wings Park, and Orville Christophel Park. Tourists love to take a walk by the Delwein Lake. The Hub City Heritage Railway Museum and the Oelwein Area Historical Society Museum are popular tourist destinations.
Waterloo Municipal Airport provides air transportation facilities.
Oelwein Higher Education
Higher education institutes that students can avail include Upper Iowa University, Kirkwood Community College, University of Northern Iowa, and Northeast Iowa Community College - Calmar.