Introduction to Leesville, Louisiana
Leesville was named after Confederate General Robert E. Lee. The town was originally known as Vernon. The area was known as "Neutral Strip," as it was in dispute between Spain and the United States. The city was founded by Dr. Edmund E. Smart and named by his father, Senator R. Smart. Leesville was incorporated in 1900. It is the parish seat of Vernon Parish, which was founded in 1871.
Leesville and nearby Attractions
- Kate Chopin House
- Myrtle Park
- Leesville Community Recreation Center
- Museum of West Louisiana
- North Toledo Bend State Park
Things To Do In Leesville
Local parks include Gilbert Field, Myrtle Park and the North Toledo Bend State Park. North Toledo Bend State Park offers opportunities for boating, fishing, hiking trails, camping and picnicking areas. The Fort Jesup State Historic Site was built in 1822. The city hosts the Mardi Gras Parade every February.
Alexandria International is the closest major airport.
Leesville Higher Education
Louisiana Technical College-Lamar Salter Campus is locared in Leesville. Other nearby colleges and universities include Louisiana Technical College-Sabine Valley Campus, McNeese State University and Northwestern State University of Louisiana.