Introduction to Farmington, Maine
Farmington was originally inhabited by the Abenaki Indians. The land was granted to William Tyng in 1703. At that time, it was known as the Sandy River Plantation or Plantation Number One. The first permanent settlers of the area arrived in 1781. A sawmill was constructed in the same year. Sandy River Plantation was officially incorporated as Farmington on February 1, 1794. In 1838, it became the county seat of the newly formed Franklin County. The Androscoggin Railroad first entered the town in 1859.
Farmington and nearby Attractions
- Union Meeting House
- Red Schoolhouse Museum
- Ski Museum of Maine
- Mount Blue State Park
- Webb Beach
Things To Do In Farmington
One can visit the Ski Museum of Maine, the Union Meeting House, the Red Schoolhouse Museum and the Titcomb House from Farmington. Skiing can be enjoyed at the Titcomb Mountain. Webb Beach is also a great place to spend leisure hours. The town hosts the Farmington Fair and Chester Greenwood Day every year.
Bangor International is the nearest major airport.
Farmington Higher Education
The University of Maine at Augusta, Saint Joseph’s College and the University of Southern Maine offer higher educational facilities.