Introduction to Sanford, Maine
The area now known as the Town of Sanford was purchased by Major William Phillips in 1661 from Fluellin, an Abenaki chief. It was first known as Phillipstown. The area was permanently settled in 1739. The town was officially incorporated in 1768. It was named in the honor of Peleg Sanford, the then governor of Rhode Island. The Portland and Rochester Railroad originally served the area. It became a major textile manufacturing center after the Civil War.
Sanford and nearby Attractions
- McDougal Orchards Ski Trails
- Wells Beach
- Moody Beach
- Sarah Orne Jewett House
- Seashore Trolley Museum
- Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge
Things To Do In Sanford
There are several parks and playgrounds at Sanford, including the Downtown Center Park, Carpentier Park, Gowen Park, Goodall Park and Benton Playground. The town also offers easy access to the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge, the Wentworth State Park and the Vaughan Woods State Park. One can enjoy shopping at the Mid-Town Mall Shopping Center.
Pease International Airport is nearby.
Sanford Higher Education
The University of New England-University Campus, Saint Joseph’s College and the University of New Hampshire-Main Campus are the nearest universities.