Introduction to Hampstead, Maryland
Hampstead was originally known as the Village of Spring Garden. It was initially a stage-line stop between Baltimore and Carlisle. English immigrants were the first permanent European settlers in the area, and the town was renamed after Hampstead, England. The first school in the town was built in 1800. The first railroad entered the area in 1879. Hampstead was incorporated in 1888.
Hampstead and nearby Attractions
- Hampstead Skate Park
- Carroll County Farm Museum
- National Museum of Ceramic Art and Glass
- Hampton National Historic Site
- Cylburn Arboretum
Things To Do In Hampstead
The Homewood House Museum, the Baltimore Museum of Art, the National Museum of Ceramic Art and Glass, and the Fire Museum of Maryland are some of the local museums and historical sites. The Codorus State Park offers facilities for camping, boating, swimming, and hiking. North Carroll Library is the local library.
Air transportation is available from Baltimore-Washington International Airport.
Hampstead Higher Education
Nearby colleges and universities include Western Maryland College, Baltimore City Community College and Morgan State University.