Introduction to Havre De Grace, Maryland
Havre De Grace History
Havre de Grace was originally a small village known as Harmer's Town. The village was frequented by General Lafayette, a French military officer of the Revolutionary War. It was because of him that the village was renamed Le Havre de Grace, after the seaport of Le Havre in France. In 1785, it was officially incorporated under the name Havre de Grace. From 1912-1950, it was known as 'The Graw' and developed as a stopover for travelers.
Havre De Grace and nearby Attractions
- Susquehanna State Park
- Havre de Grace Decoy Museum
- Amstel House
- Elk Neck State Park
- Havre de Grace Maritime Museum
- Bulle Rock Golf Club
Things To Do In Havre De Grace
The area is home to a number of museums such as the Havre de Grace Decoy Museum, Havre de Grace Maritime Museum, and Steppingstone Museum, to name a few. The historic Amstel House is nearby. The Elk Neck State Park offers a number of recreational facilities such as camping, boating, fishing, and hiking. The golf courses in the area include the Bulle Rock Golf Club and Golf and Country Club of Swan Creek. The local celebrations of Celtic Festival, Duck Fair, and Seafood Festival, draw huge crowds from all the neighboring cities and towns.
Havre De Grace Transportation
The closest airport to the city is Baltimore-Washington International Airport.
Havre De Grace Higher Education
Higher education is available at Harford Community College, Wilmington College, and University of Delaware.