Introduction to New Carrollton, Maryland
Located in Prince Georges county, New Carrollton, Maryland, is 6 miles W of Bowie, Maryland (center to center) and 8 miles NE of Washington, District of Columbia. The city has a population of 12,589 residents.
New Carrollton History
The city of New Carrollton was established by Albert W. Tuner, who received a charter for the planned city from the Maryland General Assembly on April 11, 1953. The area where the city in currently located was originally owned by renowned horse racer, Edward L. Mahoney, until his death in 1957. The city was named after Charles Carroll, one of the early settlers of Carrollton in Maryland, who went on to become the US Senator for Maryland. The city was renamed New Carrollton on May 2, 1966, due to the existence of two other Maryland territories by the name of Carrollton.
New Carrollton and nearby Attractions
- Greenbelt Museum
- Beall-Dawson House
- Agricultural History Farm Park
- Dumbarton Oaks Park
Things To Do In New Carrollton
Museums in the area include the Greenbelt Museum and Agricultural History Farm Park. The Beall-Dawson House, built in 1815 for Upton Beall, is also close by. Parks in the area include The Dumbarton Oaks Park and Glen Echo Park.
New Carrollton Transportation
The closest airport to the city is the Baltimore-Washington International Airport.
New Carrollton Higher Education
Higher education is available at University of Maryland-University College, Prince Georges Community College, and Catholic University of America.