Introduction to Poolesville, Maryland
The area of Poolesville was purchased by two brothers, John Poole, Sr. and Joseph Poole, Sr. in 1760. In 1793, John Poole, Jr., after whom the town is named, built a log store. Incorporation occurred in 1867. Though no battles were fought in Poolesville during the Civil War, hundreds of Union soldiers were stationed in Poolesville to watch for Confederate incursions. The Poolesville Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Poolesville and Nearby Attractions
- Markoff's Haunted Forest
- Seneca Schoolhouse Museum
- Seneca Creek State Park
- John Poole House
- Red Rock Overlook Regional Park
Things To Do In Poolesville
Poolesville is home to many parks and playgrounds such as the L. M. Stevens Park, the E E Halmos Park, and the Brooks Park. The Poolesville Golf Club provides opportunities to play golf. The Markoff's Haunted Forest is a popular tourist attraction, and the Seneca Schoolhouse Museum and John Poole House provide history of the area. The Seneca Creek State Park, Balls Bluff Regional Park, and Temple Hall Farm Regional Park are only a few minutes away by car.
Air transportation is available at Washington Dulles International Airport.
Poolesville Higher Education
Montgomery College, Frederick Community College, and George Mason University are colleges close to Poolesville.