Introduction to Athol, Massachusetts
Athol was first settled in the year 1735. Initially, five families first settled in an area in September of 1735 and named it "Pequoiag." The region was officially incorporated in the year 1762. After incorporation, the name was changed to Athol. "Athol" means "pleasant place". It was named so by John Murray, one of the proprietors of the land. The Pan-Am railroad main line follows the East-West course of the Millers River through the center of town. The early settlers of the region subsisted on agriculture and hunting. By 1791, Athol had four grist mills, six sawmills and a mill.
Athol and nearby Attractions
- Harrison Anglers
- Northfield Mountain Recreation and Environmental Center
- Barre Historical Society
- Central Quabbin Area Tourist
- Wilson H. Lee Park
- Phillips Park
Worcester Regional is Athol's local airport.
Athol Higher Education
The city is served by Mount Wachusett Community College.