Introduction to Lunenburg, Massachusetts
The first settlers arrived in Lunenburg in 1718. It was officially incorporated in 1728, and was named after the Duke of Lunenburg, who later became King George II of England. The initially agro-based town gradually shifted to a industrially developed rural community in the later half of the nineteenth century.
Lunenburg and Nearby Attractions
- Marshall Park
- Lunenburg Historic District
- Lake Whalom
- Concord Museum
- Otter River State Forest
Things To Do In Lunenburg
Otter River State Forest offers camping opportunities as well as other activities such as hiking, swimming, and mountain biking. For outdoor recreation, people may visit the Marshall Park or the Gardner Heritage State Park. The area is surrounded by bodies of water such as Lake Whalom, the Turkey Hill Pond and the White Rabbit Swamp. The Concord Museum exhibits remnants of local history.
Flights are available from Manchester-Boston Regional Airport.
Lunenburg Higher Education
Colleges nearby include Fitchburg State College, the Mount Wachusett Community College, and the Quinsigamond Community College.