Introduction to Millis, Massachusetts
The first settlers arrived in present day Millis in 1657. The town was officially incorporated in 1885 due to the efforts of Lansing Millis. Originally, Millis was part of Dedhlam. The land of Millis was granted to Medfield in 1651, and another new town called Medway was formed. The founder of this new town, Lansing Millis, incorporated Millis into the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on February 24th 1885. Mr. Millis was successful in making the small town prominent in the state, and he was also responsible for bringing the railroad which stimulated economic development.
Millis and Nearby Attractions
- Capron Park Zoo
- Ashland State Park
- Armenian Library and Museum of America
- Adams National Historic Site
- Nashoba Valley
Things To Do In Millis
Millis has several museums nearby including the Armenian Library and Museum of America, the Art Institute of Boston Gallery, the Arthur M. Sackler Museum, and the Blue Hills Trailside Museum. Places of historical significance near Millis include Adams National Historical Site, Blanchard's Tavern, and Boston National Historical Park. Another popular sites near Millis is Richardson’s Tavern which was built around 1720. George Washington had lunch in this tavern on his way to Cambridge. Ames Nowell State Park, Ashland State Park, and Carson Beach are several parks nearby.
General Edward Lawrence Logan International Airport is a major airport nearby.
Millis Higher Education
Andover Newton Theological School, Anna Maria College, and Art Institute of Boston are colleges close to Millis.