Introduction to Marshall, Michigan
The community of Marshall was established by Sidney and George Ketchum in 1830. They named the area "Marshall" in honor of John Marshall, the Chief Justice of the United States from Virginia. Expecting this community to eventually become Michigan's state capitol, a number of doctors, ministers, entrepreneurs, lawyers, and land speculators settled in Marshall. In the mid 19th century, the town had an Underground Railroad station. The residents, who harbored strong anti-slavery sentiments, helped slaves escape from pursuers. The city, which is home to one of the largest National Historic Landmark Districts in the nation, has been referred to as the "virtual textbook of 19th-Century American architecture" by the keeper of the National Register of Historic Places.
Marshall and Nearby Attractions
- Honolulu House Museum
- Battle Creek Sanitarium
- Fort Custer Recreation Area
- Binder Park Zoo
- W.J. Beal Botanical Garden
Things To Do In Marshall
Marshall is home to numerous historical markers including the American Museum of Magic, First Baptist Church, Capitol Hill School, Samuel Coleman House, and Butler-Boyce House. G.A.R. Hall Civil War Museum houses Civil War artifacts, Honolulu House Museum includes carpets, furniture, and paintings that recreate the 19th century splendor, and the Michael W. Schragg Post Office and US Postal Museum features 19th and 20th century historical treasures. The Fort Custer Recreation Area, which sits upon nearly 3,000 acres, offers facilities for camping, boating, fishing, and hiking. The city is also close to the Binder Park Zoo, Potter Park Zoo, and W.J. Beal Botanical Garden. Residents of Marshall host the Calhoun County Fair, and the Harvest Festival every year.
Air transportation is available from the Kalamazoo Battle Creek International Airport.
Marshall Higher Education
Nearby colleges include the Kellogg Community College, Spring Arbor University, Jackson Community College, and Western Michigan University.