Introduction to Farmington, New Hampshire
A fort was built by the Colonial Assembly of Portsmouth at the foot of Lake Winnipesauke in order to prevent raids by the Abenaki Indians. After construction was completed in 1721, the town of Farmington was officially born. Farmington began as the Northwest Parish of Rochester, which was chartered in 1722. The town received its name from the docking site of a store commonly called Farmington Dock. In 1798, a petition for charter was granted and the town of Farmington was incorporated as a separate township.
Farmington and nearby Attractions
- Blue Job State Forest
- New Hampshire Farm Museum
- Wentworth State Park
- Farmington Country Club
Things To Do In Farmington
Farmington is close to the New Hampshire Farm Museum and the Blue Job State Forest. Farmington’s Opera House hosts numerous recreational events, such as theatre performances and musical programs. The Farmington Hay Day Festival is a popular local festival, which attracts many visitors every year. The Farmington Country Club, Rochester Country Club and Ledges Golf Course provide facilities for local golfers.
Air transportation is available from Pease International Airport.
Farmington Higher Education
Higher education can be pursued at the University of New Hampshire, New Hampshire College, Northern Essex Community College and the University of New England-University Campus.