Introduction to Absecon, New Jersey
Lenni-Lenape Native Americans were the original inhabitants of this area. The name Absecon was derived from the Indian word Absegami, meaning bay or little water. Capt. Cornelius Jacobsen Mey, a Dutchman, came to this area in 1614 and named it Eyren Haven. A dam was constructed in the area in 1780, and in 1832, the Native Americans ceded all land to the State of New Jersey. Absecon received its current name in 1841. It was incorporated as a town on February 29, 1872, and reincorporated as a city on March 24, 1902.
Absecon and nearby Attractions
- Absecon Wildlife Management Area
- Brigantine Beach Historical Museum
- Betsy Ross House
- Barnegat Lighthouse State Park
- New Jersey State Aquarium
Things To Do In Absecon
The Brigantine Beach Historical Museum and the Noyes Museum of Art display artifacts and memorabilia depicting the history and culture of the area. Absecon offers access to historic sites like the Betsy Ross House, the Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site, the Mid-Atlantic Center for the Arts and the Gloria Dei Church National Historic Site. The Lebanon State Forest, spread across 32,000 acres, includes the Cedar Swamp Natural Area. Island Beach State Park, located on a barrier island between Barnegat Bay and the Atlantic Ocean, offers swimming, fishing, canoeing and hiking opportunities. The Adventure Aquarium, Camden Children's Garden, the Philadelphia Zoo and Leaming's Run Gardens are some of the other attractions in the area. Local golfers can enjoy a round at the 18-hole Galloway National Golf Club.
Atlantic City International is the closest major airport.
Absecon Higher Education
Nearby colleges include the Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, Atlantic Cape Community College and Burlington County College.