Introduction to Ewing, New Jersey
Ewing, New Jersey, in Mercer county, is 4 miles NW of Trenton, New Jersey and 29 miles NE of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The town is located in the Trenton metropolitan area. Ewing has a population of 35,707.
The first known inhabitants in the area were the Lenni Lenape Native Americans. For these early inhabitants, the numerous lakes and creeks served as a great natural resource for fishing, hunting, farming, and pottery-making. European colonists arrived in the region in 1699, when it was a part of Hopewell Township. Ewing later became part of the City of Trenton in 1719, and it remained that way until 1834, when its name was changed to Ewing Township. It was named in honor of Charles Ewing, the former Chief Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court. The township of Ewing was officially incorporated on February 22, 1834.
Ewing and nearby Attractions
- Centennial Hall
- Wolfe Tower
- New Jersey State Prison Farm
- Sylvia Lake
- Benjamin Temple House
- Black River & Western Railroad
Things To Do In Ewing
The Adventure Aquarium, Leonard Buck Garden, Northlandz and Bushkill Park are all accessible from Ewing. Northlandz has an art gallery, a miniature railway system and a doll museum.
Philadelphia International is the closest major airport.
Ewing Higher Education
The College of New Jersey is the local college. Nearby colleges include Thomas Edison State College, Rider University, Princeton University and Bucks County Community College.