Introduction to Fanwood, New Jersey
The Lenni-Lenape Native Americans were the original settlers of the area. The community was initially a part of Westfield, and was established along the Central Railroad of New Jersey's railroad lines. It was incorporated as the Borough of Fanwood through an act of the New Jersey Legislature on October 2, 1895. Fanwood was named in honor of Fannie Wood, the daughter of a railroad official.
Fanwood and nearby Attractions
- Littell-Lord Farmhouse Museum
- New Jersey Museum of Agriculture
- Edison National Historic Site
- Liberty Hall
- Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park
- Bergen County Zoological Park
Things To Do In Fanwood
The New Jersey Museum of Agriculture houses exhibits that depict the pre-Colonial life of rural New Jersey. The Littell-Lord Farmhouse Museum, the Crane Phillips Living Museum and the Museum of Early Trades & Crafts feature artifacts of historic importance. Liberty Hall, the Edison National Historic Site, the Buccleuch Mansion and the Conference House are some of the historic sites in the area. Facilities for hiking, horseback riding, biking, boating, fishing and picnicking are available at the Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park, Morristown National Historical Park and Washington Rock State Park. The South Mountain Reservation, spread across 2,047 acres of land, includes a zoo, nature trails, and fishing and picnic areas.
Newark Liberty International is the nearest major airport.
Fanwood Higher Education
Union County College, Kean University, Drew University, and Seton Hall University are some of the colleges and universities closest to Fanwood.