Introduction to Lopatcong, New Jersey
Lopatcong originated as the township of Phillipsburg, created on March 7, 1851. It contained portions of the townships of Greenwich and Harmony. The town was officially incorporated as an independent community on March 8, 1861. It was given its current name on March 18, 1863, named after a creek in the area. Lopatcong derives its name from a phrase in the language of the Lenni Lenape Native Americans, meaning 'winter water place for deer.'
Lopatcong and nearby Attractions
- George Taylor House
- Hackettstown Historical Museum
- Nockamixon State Park
- Black River & Western Railroad
- Alpine Mountain
Things To Do In Lopatcong
The Allentown Art Museum, the Moravian Museum and the Discovery Center of Science and Technology are some of the local museums. Local historic sites include the George Taylor House and the Stroud Mansion. Nockamixon State Park, Spruce Run Recreation Area, and Ralph Stover State Park are some of the popular local parks and recreational areas, while the Black River & Western Railroad, Bushkill Park, and Northlandz are all nearby as well.
Air transportation is available from Lehigh Valley International Airport.
Lopatcong Higher Education
Colleges near Lopatdong include Cedar Crest College, Centenary College, and East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania.