Introduction to Old Tappan, New Jersey
Old Tappan History
Old Tappan originally belonged to the Lenni Lenape Indians. The new settlers purchased land from the tribe on March 7, 1682. In 1687, a legal title of Tappan Patent was granted to thirteen Dutchman and three African Americans by the governor of New York. For 86 years, the area was a part of Orangetown, belonging to the Orange County. The name of the community is taken from an Indian term, meaning cold stream. Old Tappan was incorporated on October 18, 1894 from portions of Harrington Township.
Old Tappan and nearby Attractions
- Belskie Museum of Art and Science
- Rockefeller Center
- Blauvelt State Park
- Central Synagogue
- Bergen County Zoological Park
- Sterling Forest
Things To Do In Old Tappan
Oakes Park, Stone Point Park, Gallagher Field, and Chestnut Field are some of the local parks and recreational spots. Local museums include the Belskie Museum of Art and Science, the Bergen Museum of Art & Science, and the Bergenfield Museum. Historic sites nearby include the DeWint House, the Elizabeth Cady Stanton House, and the Old Croton Aqueduct State Historic. The Bergen County Zoological Park and Glen Rock Arboretum are nearby as well.
Old Tappan Transportation
Air transportation is available from Newark International Airport.
Old Tappan Higher Education
Dominican College of Blauvelt, Saint Thomas Aquinas College, and Sunbridge College are some of the colleges accessible from Old Tappan.