Introduction to Piscataway, New Jersey
Piscataway, New Jersey, in Middlesex county, is 20 miles SW of Newark, New Jersey. The city provides commuters easy access to major highways and is part of the New York Metro area. The town is situated along the Raritan River. It's regarded as one of the oldest communities situated on the East Coast. Piscataway includes educational and research facilities due to being near Rutgers University and Robert Johnson Medical School.
In 2008 Piscataway was ranked 23rd in Money Magazine's top 100 places to live in America list. The city features an ethnically diverse population. The municipality is home to the Colgate Palmolive Technology Center and the world headquarters of Telcordia Technologies and American Standard. It includes the prominent facilities of Siemens Hearing Instruments, MCI World Com International, Johnson & Johnson Health Systems, Hapag-Lloyd and Pepsi Cola Bottling Group.
The name was given by the original settlers who named the town after their prior residence along the Piscataquaua River, which forms a partial boundary between the states of New Hampshire and Maine. It was established by Quakers and Baptists. In the past, sections of Piscataway were taken to create other towns.
- New Market, Randolphville, North Shelton and Fieldville are notable historic areas.
- Piscatataway Town, the original village community, is situated in Edison Township.
- Metlar/Bodine House Museum features prehistoric artifacts and hosts a variety of events.
- Cornelius House/Middlesex County Museum is an historic structure and cited by the Historic American Building Survey of the Library of Congress. It features exhibits regarding the history of New Jersey.
- Camp Kilmer is a notable location.
- East Jersey Olde Towne Village is situated in Johnson Park. The village features numerous original, reconstructed and re-creations of historic structures.
Johnson Park is popular for outdoor activities. Hiking enthusiasts enjoy the trails at the nearby Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park and Farrington Lake. Golfers enjoy the Rutgers Golf Course and other nearby courses.
Piscataway Higher Education
Piscataway is home to the Rutgers University Busch and Livingston campuses, Gibbs College and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Piscataway Campus. Drew University and Middlesex County College are nearby.