Introduction to Runnemede, New Jersey
The first settler, John Ashbrook, arrived sometime in the late 17th or early 18th century. In 1877, a railway extension was proposed in the area which was then known as "Mapleville." By 1883, the community was renamed "Runnemede." Though speculation exists on why the town was christened "Runnemede," some believe it was named after Runnymeade, England. Prior to World War II, it was primarily a rural community. Gradually, it developed into a suburban blue-collar town in the 20th century. Runnemede was officially incorporated on April 24, 1926.
Runnemede and Nearby Attractions
- Indian King Tavern Museum
- Gloria Dei Church National Historic Site
- Independence National Park
- Elmwood Park Zoo
- Fort Washington State Park
- New Jersey State Aquarium
Things To Do In Runnemede
Barclay Farmstead Museum, an early 19th century farmstead with a farmhouse, nature trails, and gardens, and the 18th century Indian King Tavern Museum are located near Runnemede. Several historic sites are within 10 miles including the Walt Whitman House, Gloria Dei Church National Historic Site, Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site, and Fort Mifflin. Independence National Historical Park, another popular destination, encompasses Independence Hall, Benjamin Franklin National Memorial, and Liberty Bell. Fort Washington State Park offers facilities for hiking, fishing, picnicking, and camping. Adventure Aquarium, Elmwood Park Zoo, and Camden Children's Garden are other attractions in the region.
The closest major airport is Philadelphia International Airport.
Runnemede Higher Education
Colleges near Runnemede are Camden County College, Rutgers University, Temple University, and Community College of Philadelphia.